Fair Acre Press
is an independent publishing house, committed to publishing high quality books and pamphlets that are good to hold, touch, look at and read; books that will call out to you – over and over again.
Publication is by invitation only. Scroll down to read about our editor Nadia Kingsley
We are interested in:
Science, the Natural World generally, Shropshire in particular
Poetry, prose, photography, art, craft
Finding new audiences and giving those audiences something new
Collaborations – between Sciences and Arts, and between the different genres within the Arts
Contact Nadia for press enquiries, review copies, author interviews etc
We are proud to be a member of the Independent Publishers Guild
Zest Press is an Imprint of Fair Acre Press.
Zest Press supports authors in bringing their quality writing and projects to print.
This is a small venture which is increasingly being sidelined by time constraints because of Fair Acre Press’ endeavours and activities, but if you are interested in paying for Nadia’s expertise in getting your book into print; without marketing or post-publication support please do email Nadia at email@example.com and she will see if she can help.
About Nadia Kingsley
- I have had poetry published in magazines and anthologies, plus have three poetry pamphlets in print, and have been placed in poetry competitions.
- I wrote a poem a month about a specified herb for medical herbalist Jayne Palmer’s herbal blog since January 2015 for two years – and which culminated in A Year in Herbs: a collaborative pamphlet with Jayne’s edited blogs, Nadia’s improved poems with12 friends and family’s artworks
- I have read poetry at Stratford Literary Festival, Wenlock Poetry Festival (including the ‘Ones to Watch’ event curated by Jacob Sam-La Rose), Ted Hughes Festival, around the West Midlands, Knighton’s Poetry Marathon in aid of refugees, as guest poet at a fundraiser for Cuan Wildlife Rescue Centre, at Shropshire Wildlife Trust’s Merefest, at Birmingham Literature Festival.
- I co-wrote poems, and performed in e-x-p-a-n-d-i-n-g: The History of the Universe in 45 minutes (see below). We also performed parts of this on stage with the Greenwich Observatory’s Public Astronomer Dr Marek Kukula, at Stratford Literary Festival 2016
- In 2017 I was guest poet at the Cuan Wildlife Rescue Centre fundraiser, Wenlock Pottery, Shropshire in June alongside Keith Chandler and Chris Kinsey. I read at Bridgnorth Writer’s group day of poetry and music, alongside David Calcutt and Keith Chandler.
- On September 9th 2017 I will read at a Refugee fundraising event at Knighton, Shropshire.
- In 2017 I wrote poems for specific events – including Charles Darwin related poems for Merefest, and Cuan Wildlife Rescue Centre poems based on their workers’ ‘adventures’ and a guided visit.
- In 2017 two of my herb poems were published in The Physic Garden, edited by Adam Horovitz
- I project managed Shropshire Butterflies – a poetic and artistic guide to the butterflies of Shropshire – including involving 67 contributors: ecologists, nature writers, poets, artists; organising several group performances, an art exhibition, and a poetry and butterfly walk at Dudmaston Hall.
- I project managed, co-wrote, and performed e-x-p-a-n-d-i-n-g: the history of the Universe in 45 minutes at festivals such as Birmingham Literature Festival, Stratford Literary Festival, Birmingham Art & Science Festival, Wenlock Poetry Festival.
- I project managed, presented podcasts and wrote for the Maligned Species project.
- I am programme directing ten hours of nature and poetry in the Speaking of Nature tent at MEREFEST, Ellesmere, Shropshire on September 16th 2017
- I am project managing a podcast and poetry & art book project DIVERSIFLY/Urban Birds project – supported with public funding through Arts Council England
- I have written a short story for Literary Salmon’s debut short story collection The Casual Electrocution of Strangers which can be dowloaded for free here.
- I have short stories that have been placed and have won competitions. Two were recorded by short story radio: Shopping List; After the Tone – you can listen to these on this page. (see right hand side)
- In 2016, I, and others wrote a short story a month, on a given prompt. The project was called ‘Prompted Tales’ and was run by Alex Townley – My stories are here
- I have had ceramics, sculpture, photography and a textile installation exhibited in London, Brighton, Birmingham, the Cotswolds and Wolverhampton.
- BA (Hons) ceramics, 2:1 from University of Wolverhampton
- A’levels in Maths, Chemistry & Biology
- MBBS from King’s College London, MRCGP
- Worked as a GP, and then a medical examiner
- I have been invited on panels at Writing West Midlands Writer’s Toolkit 2015 – blogging, and working with small presses
- I was asked to write a guest blog on the website of the 2010/11 ‘Ted Hughes Award for New Works in Poetry’ winner Kaite O’Reilly
- I was asked to write a guest blog on the Independent Publisher’s Guild (ipg) website
- I was ‘In Conversation’ with novelist James Hannah (author of The A to Z of You and Me) at Shrewsbury Festival of Literature 2016
- I curated the ‘Who Needs Nature?’ event at Birmingham Literature Festival 2017 – bringing together, in a ONE OFF event – Matthew Oates, Mary Colwell and Brett Westwood
EDITOR OF FAIR ACRE PRESS:
I set up Fair Acre Press in 2011 – to publish the Shropshire Butterflies book.
I had always felt the need to create a book, but hadn’t realised until I was choosing and placing the poems, and art; commissioning poets,ecologists and nature writers; making connections with specialists and organisations – that I would feel such satisfaction.
I was struck by the bug…
Here are a few photos of my exhibited visual art work: